MSD is looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious:
Intern virus discovery / vaccine development
on behalf of the Department D&T-Research
Merck Animal Health is one of the world's leading companies in the field of veterinary medicines. MSD Animal Health develops and manufactures vaccines and drugs for farm animals, pets and fish. We have offices in over 50 countries and sell our products in more than 140 markets in which we operate in a network of production and R & D sites around the world.
MSD is characterized by an open culture with lots of room for initiative. Your development is central in this internship, but we also want to learn from you!
Discovery & Technology – Research
The Discovery &Technology (D&T) department is part of the Global Research & Development (R&D) group of MSD Animal Health. Our research is focused on (1) novel technologies for isolation, characterization and culturing of newly discovered pathogens that infect animals and possibly humans (zoonoses), on (2) novel approaches to efficacious vaccine development against existing and newly discovered pathogens and (3) on development of new technologies to culture pathogens for vaccine production.
Project and specific activities that the student will be working on:
- Improvement of cell lines to be used for pathogen growth.
- The goal is to improvements in vitro yields by either overexpression of a selection of candidate genes that enhance pathogen replication, or targeted deletion of genes that negatively affect pathogen replication.
- You will learn cell culture techniques, techniques for cryo-preservation, immune-fluorescence, and flow cytometry. This will be combined with molecular biology techniques such as PCR, transfection, and CRISPR/Cas gene editing.
- You will learn a variety of virological assays such as virus titration.
The activities described above are the basic package and will be conducted often independently after a good first work- and learning period. On your own initiative, these can be supplemented with other techniques and / or tasks if relevant for the project.
We are looking for:
A still studying HBO / university student (Molecular) Cell Biology, Virology, Biochemistry or equivalent
- Has interest in cell biology / molecular biology / virology / bacteriology / vaccine development / immunology.
- Is available 5 days per week for a period of 6 months.
- Has a professional attitude, enthusiasm, is eager to learn new techniques and is challenged to do an internship in a dynamic complex environment.
- Has basic lab experience after having completed at least one previous internship.
- Has good understanding of English and Dutch language.
- A broad basic science -based internship, which allows you to get acquainted with many aspects of vaccine development, with enough room for own initiative.
- A challenging and dynamic learning environment with a lot of space for personal development.
- Professional guidance by experienced D&T specialists.
- A placement fee of € 375,- for Higher professional education (HBO) and an allowance of € 470,- for Academic/University (WO) gross per month (based on a 40-hour week).
Information & Application:
If you are interested in this internship, please check www.werkenbijmsd.nl online or send your cover
letter and resume, or email your cover letter and resume to Denise van de Winkel, email@example.com.
For more information about the internship, please contact via e-mail or by phone: +31 6 25 07 46 30.